Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Beginning Again

I am a simple person. I enjoy my family, I like my day job a decent percentage of the time, and I love photography. Photography has been an obsession for me since I was a tiny little girl with a 110 film camera. Yes, folks, a 110. Not vintage, not retro. My parents bought it in the store, taught me how to load it, and sent me on my merry way. I am not sure if any of those early photos exist anymore, but I will look. For laughs.

I love photography so much that I was even going to run away to California (from small town Arkansas, mind you. At 20.), and go to art school while my then-boyfriend was going to study history and be a teacher. I am a true Aquarian. Divine intervention came in the form of my first born son. I was not ready to run away. I was not equipped to be so far from home. The powers that be knew motherhood would be much easier for me that traveling halfway across the country with my social anxiety. Motherhood has been easier for me than starting a photography career. Crazy, I know.

So, here I am, that golden child is almost 16, it has been 17 years since his father and I planned to run away (we are both deeply rooted in other families and other careers), I have twin terrible two toddlers, and two professional jobs in the social work field. But...I can't let photography go. It has always been there in one incantation or another. I have always had at least one camera, and the dawning of high quality cellphone cameras has made taking photos everyday a convenience. But I want a career in photography. I want people to see the beauty I see and want to keep it. I want to set my own schedule so I have more time for my family, my other passion. I, of course, want to make money.

To do this I am starting over, from scratch, again. For the next two weeks I will not edit a single photo. I will focus on composition and exposure, aperture and lighting. I will go as purist as I can with a digital camera. With each post I will share the vision I had and the camera settings, what I learned, and what I wished I had done differently. This is my new vision quest. After the weeks of purism who knows where the quest will take me. We will just have to wait and see....

No comments:

Post a Comment